Coda File System

typescript sought for successful replicated server installation

From: Jeremy Malcolm <Jeremy_at_Malcolm.wattle.id.au>
Date: Sun, 02 Dec 2001 21:03:32 +0800
For months I have been trying to get what is meant to be a very simple
setup going, two servers with replicated volumes.  I have installed both
servers hundreds of times, following the documentation very carefully,
and it has never worked for me even once.  No matter what I do, I always
get a combination of two sets of errors:

1. Server saying "Failure of coda_cnode_make for root: error -6" with
   venus saying "CHILD: mount system call failed. Killing parent",
   and/or "cfs mkmount" creating broken symlinks.
2. Venus saying "Connection timed out" when writing or reading files.

None of the many suggestions that I have been given have provided a
solution.  I am 99% sure that it is a bug in coda that has doesn't
exhibit itself for the developers, but does for me.  It is only because
Intermezzo isn't ready yet that I've persisted with coda this far, but
I'm now on the verge of abandoning any hope of getting disconnected
operation working with Linux.

Before I completely give up, can someone do me a favour the next time
they install a couple of replicated servers and run "script" on both
servers from the first step in installation until the clients are
successfully writing and reading, and then email me the output so that I
can step through it?  I just want to finally rule out the possibility
that I am doing something wrong.

--
JEREMY MALCOLM <Jeremy@Malcolm.wattle.id.au> http://malcolm.wattle.id.au
Providing online networks of Australian lawyers (http://www.ilaw.com.au)