Coda File System

Re: "cannot find root volume name"

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Mar 2004 16:03:34 -0500
On Wed, Mar 03, 2004 at 01:56:07PM -0600, vishwa wrote:
> Hi,
>    I tried installing Coda client 5.3. The server installation works fine. I
> am unable to install the client. It gives the error as "cannot find root
> volume name"

The first thing a 5.3 client does is try to connect to the servers
listed as 'rootservers' in /etc/coda/venus.conf and asks for the name of
the rootvolume.

The problem can be caused by several things,
    - it cannot resolve the names to valid ip-addresses
    - there is no server running on any of the listed 'rootservers'