Coda File System

Re: Backup problems

From: Kurt Huwig <kurt_at_huwig.de>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 22:20:08 +0100
Jan Harkes schrieb:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 1999 at 11:39:34AM +0100, Kurt Huwig wrote:
> > 1. 'tape.pl'
> >
> >     $rc = 0xffff & system("dump 0sBf $blocksize $size $tape $part");
> >
> > The option '-s' sets the tape length and not the blocksize; '-B'
> > overrides '-s', so this should read 'dump 0bBf' with '$blocksize' <= 64
> > (currently 500).
>
> Funny, it's been working fine here, but you are right that the options
> we pass to dump don't seem to make much sense :) Even the `B' option is
> the number of records, so it should probably be divided by $blocksize.

With Linux, it gives the number of 1024k-Blocks on the tape. IMHO, it
should read

	$rc = 0xffff & system("dump -0Bf $size $tape $part");

> > 2. The 'extract.sh' script is missing. Where can I get it from?
>
> Extract.sh, old documentation. At least, I've never seen it, only the
> reference to it in the Coda-manual. Restore sequence is:
>
> - Locate an restore the last backup using the backuplogs.
>     In the log is has the command to restore the volume dump.
>     The /backup partition is just a bunch of symlinks and can be ignored.
>
>     ---------> Partition /backup1:
>     ---------> command: mt -f /dev/nst0 rewind
>     ---------> command: restore -b 500 -s 2 -f /dev/nst0 -t /

In my backuplog:

Running tape.pl with  backupdir /backup, dumpdir /backup/14Dec1999,
tape /dev/nst0 on host smuf.
cp: /vice/db/etc: omitting directory <---!!!
Label: Coda I Tuesday

which should be caused by

	system("cp -p $dbdir/* $dumpdir");

Maybe this should read

	system("cp -ax $dbdir/* $dumpdir");

Something different:
1. The documentation says nothing about not being allowed to name the
backup-Partition "backup"; it seems as if you need two partitions, say
'backup' and 'backup1' with 'backup1' being in vicetab.

2. The 'vice-setup' scripts says asks for a serverid with 0 < serverid <
255, but somewhere hidden in the docs is the information 128 < serverid
< 255, so this should be updated.

> As far as the modified Tower of Hanoi, a bit of googling later....
>
> http://www.unix.digital.com/faqs/publications/base_doc/DOCUMENTATION/HTML/AA-PS2RE-TE_html/CHPTR012.HTM

Thanx for this.

Kurt
Samba was detected as "Samba" by WinNT 4.0 Workstation and PageMaker 6.5
was slow like hell. Now I managed to have it detected as "WinNT 4.1
Server"
and it's much faster.                  (Ein Schelm, wer Boeses dabei
denkt)