Coda File System

file creations

From: Sam Barnett-Cormack <sdb_at_gensis.lancs.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:09:21 +0100 (BST)
We at the UK Mirror Service have been looking for a system, or looking to
write a system, and coda has come to our attention as mostly suitable.

The additional thing we'd like to be able to do is allow new files to be
created and have the system decide (based on certain criteria) which
backend server and volume to place the file, to balance usage and free
space intelligently. This would ideally interface with a complete 'merge'
of seperate filesystems by coda, which we are currently unclear as to the
possibility of (we're reading docs at present) - ie, the filesystem may
present a certain path as /some/path/ftp.redhat.com/, while this could in
teh back-end be stored as any of /volume1/a/ftp.redhat.com,
/volume1/b/ftp.redhat.com or even /my/stupidly/long/path/ftp.redhat.com on
any of multiple servers.

Does anyone know if this is, or something similar, is on the cards for
coda, and if not would the development community be amenable to us
developing it and submitting the code back in?

Thankyou all, and hope to deal with you all plenty in future.

--

Sam Barnett-Cormack
Software Developer