Coda File System

Pre-alpha release

From: <mswilso2_at_eos.ncsu.edu>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 1997 22:17:03 -0500 (EST)
First, I'd like to say that Peter Braam gave an excellant talk on coda at
the third annual LinuxExpo in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
I'm sure that lots of Linux hackers will be willing to take a crack at a
network filesystem such as coda.

I downloaded the pre-alpha and made an attempt to set up a server.  It
seems that there is a binary missing.  Sorry if I'm lacking in knowledge
about the workings of every thing right now - after all I knew very
little about it before this weekend.

As I ran vice-server-setup, I notice that the script calls pcfgen.  rpm
-ql coda-server | grep pcf shows that it's not there.  I don't know how
necessary it is to have that file - but the server core dumps as it's

Assertion failed: file "srv.cc", line 533
could not open key 2 file: No such file or directory
/vice/db/vice.pcf: No such file or directory
Bad .pcf or .pdb file

I may try to build pcfgen from the source, as soon as I can clean up
enough to get 80 mb free.

Matt Wilson
mswilso2_at_eos.ncsu.edu