Coda File System

Re: is it implemented?

From: <thoth_at_purplefrog.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 1997 14:00:07 -0400
"Peter J. Braam" <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu> ,in message <Pine.LNX.3.95.971009114219.263
	25F-100000_at_lesbos.odyssey.cs.cmu.edu>, wrote:

> Bob,
>
> Coda supports encryption with a pointer to a procedure in the
> RPC2_NewBinding function.  It is fxor right now, if you can get DES
> legally, you can change it to DES, i.e. it is very flexible.

  OK ?!  Any way you could make it work with SSLeay?

> I don't know what a /depot scheme is.

  You install all your files into
/depot/packagename-version/{bin,lib/packagename,sbin,man/*}/ and then make
symlinks from /usr/local/whatever into the /depot.  Makes it less difficult
to copy a built package around, or remove it from the system.  It's a little
more portable than RPM and doesn't have the version problems RPM has.

> The servers implementation is highly resistant against crashes.
> Modifications to all metadata are made using proper RVM transactions and a
> log based scheme is used. On Linux however, we still need a raw character
> /dev/hda (which does not use the buffer cache) before this is really
> there.

  I kinda expected that.  Are you actively bugging the linux kernel hackers?
I think there was another group that wanted un-buffered DISK I/O, but the
kernel guys were not exactly hopping to get it done.

--
Bob Forsman                                   thoth_at_gainesville.fl.us
           http://www.gainesville.fl.us/~thoth/