Coda File System

Re: Coda 4.3.13

From: Steven N. Hirsch <shirsch_at_ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 1998 07:19:14 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 3 Feb 1998, Peter J. Braam wrote:

> We have uploaded a collection of rpms to ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu.  We have
> used coda-4.3.13 quite extensively and while many problems remain it seems
> a good step forward.  With considerable care and patience you should be
> able to use the system now.
>
> Make sure to read the INSTALL.linux file on our ftp server -- it is the
> most up to date document there is.  Other documents can be found in the
> Coda documentation rpm.
>
> If you are interested in doing a Coda project let me know.  We need lots
> of volunteers!
>
> I expect that we will make 4.4 available when we have updated the
> documentation a little and when the FreeBSD and NetBSD packages are done.
> (Aargh, I also just now fixed a pretty bad linux-2.1 kernel module bug,
> probably I ought to check that in too....).
>
> Tell us about the good and the evil!

Peter,

A few comments.

The rpm specs and/or vice-setup script failed to create the dummy
STARTFROMBOOT file..  As a result, attempting to start the server using
'vice-init start' does not work as expected.

The INSTALL.linux document contains a redundant (and potentially
confusing) step under 1b (Server configuration).  After the paragraph
which tells you to check for srv, updatesrv and updateclnt with ps, it
instructs the user to add the root volume name to to /vice/db/ROOTVOLUME.
This has already been performed by the vice-setup script.

Running out of room on the server volume leads to massive corruption of
data with no corresponding error messages.

Otherwise, I'm off and running - more later.

Regards,

Steve