Coda File System

Re: Corrupt files [Re: coda-4.3.13 src: 64-bit safety problems]

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 09:56:32 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Steven N. Hirsch wrote:

> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Peter J. Braam wrote:
>
> > Jan is completely right, and the messages you get will disappear if you
> > run an auth2 server and log in to Coda.  We are hoping to make Coda more
> > chown friendly, but it is not high on the to do list.
>
> auth2 server?  I'll read the docs and find out how to do this.  I guess I
> assumed that if I wasn't authorized, I wouldn't be able to read/write Coda
> at all!

No, a volume is always created with all rights for anyone in the ACL.  The
system administrator corrects this when mounting.  So a standard volume
for braam, mounted on /coda/usr/braam would get

cfs setacl /coda/usr/braam  braam all System:AnyUser rl

New directories inherit the acl from the parent.

There are a number of problems with unauthenticated operation of Coda
(which we will look at, but they are not on our urgent list) having to do
with the fact that re-integration requires tokens.  If your bandwidth fell
briefly, you could have a problem, unless you have tokens.