Coda File System

Re: inode methods

From: Love <lha_at_stacken.kth.se>
Date: 10 Feb 1998 23:26:48 +0100
Dan Hollis <goemon_at_sasami.anime.net> writes:

> On 10 Feb 1998, Love wrote:
> > I kind of like this idea since it easier to port to other OS.
> > (I have an Sun IPX, so linux is no option).
>
> Why? Linux runs on IPX perfectly.

Ok, lets not get too religious but:
No remote gdb support, no kgdb support, no dump support,
no distribution (redhat does not support sparc anyone).
If this isn't true I'm very intressed to hear about it.

The kernelcode i write under *BSD is not really to hard
to port other OS:es, from the begning it was written by
Assar Westerlund for sunos, and has no been ported to
FreeBSD, OpenBSD (2.2 & current), NetBSD (1.3), Linux (2.0)
 and solaris.

One the other hand the OOPS support when doing kernel debugging
(derefering a null ptr) is interesting. And linux modulesystem
(or LKM) is easier to work with. The things that bug us is
that Linux wants to have unique inode-numbers and that isn't
really easy to fix. Right now we are using ptr's are inodenumbers
but then getcwd() breaks. That will hopfully go way with Linux 2.2

And yes, i use Linux on IPX, since Linux has ipv6 support,
and that is what i use when I'm at work (i386 then).

Love