Coda File System

User-level threads in Coda (a bit of history)

From: David C. Steere <dcs_at_cse.ogi.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 1998 10:15:39 -0800
Coda was originally written on top of Mach 2.6 which did indeed have kernel
threads. However, early experiments showed the kernel threads to have
serious overhead (Re: an IEEE Trans on Computers paper from April '90).
Kernel threads would be a big win, especially the ability to overlap disk
I/O and other processing (currently things block. We do handle network I/O
properly).

Peter, have you guys implemented cells? If not, have you played with
running multiple venii (to have different, concurrent,  non-overlapping
name spaces?)

Thanks,

david.

Was Re: coda 4.3.13 on RHL 5.0 + egcs 1.0.1