Coda File System

Re: backup

From: the prophet <elijah.daniel_at_yale.edu>
Date: Fri, 3 Apr 1998 17:19:18 -0500 (EST)
I did indeed use "creatvol" to set up my volumes... oddly enough, this was
not the problem with backup, however.  It seems that backup dumps core
when you give it a relative path for the dumpfile.

As far as setting up /vice/db/vicetab, what do I need to do?  I put in the
following entry:

triffid  /coda_backup  backup

but this caused the server to crash on startup.  I removed it, and have
been specifying the backup directory by hand.

I will take your advice and change to using replicated volumes; perhaps
something about the benefits of replicated volumes should be added to the
documentation?  I was assumed that replication just added overhead when
used with a sigle server.

On Fri, 3 Apr 1998, Henry Pierce wrote:

> I think the problem you are having is that you are not getting
> the databases from your Coda Server.  However, if you are
> truely not using replicated volumes, we recommend you do.  You
> can create "singlely" replicated volumes which have a different
> set of characteristics from non-replicated ones.  For example,
> incremental backups cannot be done on non-replicated volumes only
> full backups.  Also, you can take advantage of the copy-on-write feature of
> replica whereas you cannot for non-replicated volumes.  Don't let the term
> "replicated" fool you... while it is true that it may indicate a
> volume that has two or more copies on different physical machines,
> it also refers to the property of a Coda Volume.
>
> When you created your volumes, did you use "creatvol" or "createvol_rep"
> to make them?  If you used the later, then you most likely have
> singlely replicated volumes and should persue the setting up
> of updatesrv, updateclnt, and authmon.
>
> regards,
> henry m. pierce
>
> ------------------------
> Henry M. Pierce
> Research Programmer
> Department of Computer Science
> Carnegie Mellon University
> 5000 Forbes Avenue
> Pittsbugh, PA
>

> hmpierce_at_cs.cmu.edu	hmp_at_infomagic.com

      0
        0
\  /\ 0
 \/ o\ 0