Coda File System

Re: Win 95 stuff (was Re: coda-4.6.0-pre1 available)

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 18:25:49 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 13 May 1998, Derek Fawcus wrote:

> On Wed, May 13, 1998 at 02:59:18PM -0400, Peter J. Braam wrote:
> >
> > I have a put a prerelease 4.6.0 pre1 on the ftp site:
> >
> > ftp://ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/src/coda-4.6.0-pre1.tgz
>
>   Grabbed it and had a (quick) look,  still a lot of background reading to
> do though...
>
> > We are going to keep refining this until it works on Linux, our BSD's and
> > we want the NT & 95 Coda server and a mount on Win 95!  Then we'll call
> > it 4.6.0.
>
>   I was mainly interested in looking at the Win95 stuff (sick I know),
> however some of the files mentioned in the README.win95 are not available:
>
> ftp://ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/win95/coda-client-4.5.1.exe
> ftp://ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/win95/dpmi-win95ext-2.0.1.exe
> ftp://ftp.coda.cs.cmu.edu/pub/coda/sources/coda-vxds.zip

They'll come.  I have to screen them for copyright violations -- Michael
used some files from Oney's book and from the MSDN disks.

>   The compiled stuff I'm not too interested in yet (since my server is
> currently down awaiting a PSU and new disks),  however I would like to
> have a look over the source for mc.vxd & mcstub.vxd.

Those will go out pretty soon now... (sorry I'm the only person wading
through the 10MB of Coda sources more or less and I'm not super fast, but
that's about to change.)

>   One question I've got already:  Why is the relay.exe process being
> used?  Is it the case the (for some reason) we're unable to select
> on the direct file descriptor for the open device (mc.vxd) and thus
> have to go via relay.exe,  or is this simply a debug aid?

relay.exe is purely for convenience in debugging -- we do indeed need a
DeviceIOControl, syncrhonous and asynchrounous on the Coda filesystem.

Also Venus will need to do a WaitForMultiple Objects which replace
/dev/cfs0 (in Unix) with the IOControl wait object.

Perhaps you could code this for us?