Coda File System

RPC2

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 09:23:20 -0400 (EDT)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:51:22 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Peter J. Braam" <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
To: Stewart Allen <stewart_at_neuron.com>
cc: linux-coda_at_cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Re: RPC2:  what group at CMU maintains it ?

Stewart,

There are some slides on our WWW site with an overview.  The overview
depicts somewhat more clearly what the protocol layering is - in the
absence of multi- and multicast rpcs (which complicate things of course).
The later chapters in the manual also describe some of this.  I am working
on a longer protocol description and hopefully I will have time to
reorganize some of the messy C code.

RPC2 is very stable - we run 15 fileservers and several dozen clients of
it, and while there are problems they are very rare (practically all Coda
development is done in Coda, all my email arrives in Coda etc).   The
implementation is really one of a research project not reflecting or
respecting the protocol.  I and Robert discussed this at length and in
then we understood that RPC2 even with multicast and multi rpc's can be
nicely layered, but probably only for the second implementation.

We have been thinking about a Java implementation since we have a few
programs for which this would be very useful.  However, a full
implementation is not necessary in the first instance. Let me clarify
that.  Multi rpc's and multicast rpcs are really for the
fileserver/cache manager only and even then just for optimizations.
Reliability of transmission is not an issue for some of the tools which
use RPC2, since they run over Unix domain sockets.  Side effects are
needed for some, not for others.

Finally it is probably easier to modify the stub generator we already have
(written in C) to produce Java code than to write a new one in Java.

So if I were to work on this I would first

1. deal with marshalling packets
2. build a socket listener thread that can wake up a sleeping thread when
a reply arrives
3. build a small client

If you get here, we should talk in detail, since from here onwards the
threading issues become more delicate.

4. build a thread that can accept and process a binding and run
***_ExecuteRequest and use that for a small server.  It is probably
advantageous to have a binding thread running by itself and treat it as a
subsystem.

5. Code a small TCP based side effect for simple bulk transfers, or port
our UDP based sliding window protocol.

After this a fuller implementation with retransmission properties and
multi rpcs and multicast would be in place.  Robert and I designed a much
cleaner way to do this with waitobjects that form packets and timers based
on the particular form of the RPC which is being made.

They key thing I'm trying to convey is that a full Java implementation of
RPC2 is a very challenging undertaking, but the good news is that a
partial implementation will be extremely useful to us, for tools like the
advice server, repair, volutil and filcon - all of which could benefit
from some graphical utilities which would be easier constructed with Java.

Good luck, let me know how things are progressing.

- Peter -