Coda File System

[resend] coda-4.6.0-compilefixes.patch

From: Elliot Lee <sopwith_at_redhat.com>
Date: Thu, 3 Sep 1998 17:51:05 -0400 (EDT)
I had sent this earlier, but it must have gotten lost, because I
just downloaded 4.6.5, and this patch applies cleanly to it, and I hadn't
seen any reply saying why the patch was a Bad Idea.

Here's the original message text:
---------------------------------
Here's a patch to fix all the problems that an various tools
found at compile time in coda 4.6.0...

Notes:
        - There are some sprintfs that had an extra argument that
          was supposed to be displayed in an error message. Rather
          than make the format string include the argument, I just
          removed the argument altogether (to avoid buffer overflow
          exploit possibilities). You really need to define a standard
          way of using snprintf() in coda, though.

        - In places where I didn't know how to fix things, I tried
          to put comments (i.e. /* XXX incompatible types */) to
          make it easier for Someone Else to fix the problem.

        - I know that one of the "return -1"s broke venus;
          however it is a fairly easy problem to spot & fix, and it is
          better than depending on the random return value to be zero.

As soon the right return values are put in so venus starts up, I will try
to get someone to run it through purify or insure++ and find more bugs :-)

Hope this helps,
-- Elliot
Progress (n.): The process through which Usenet has evolved from smart
people in front of dumb terminals to dumb people in front of smart
terminals.  -- obs_at_burnout.demon.co.uk