Coda File System

Re: question + comment + doc patches

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:36:16 -0400 (EDT)
Maybe next week (when I return from 4 days in recluse writing NT Coda
kernel code) I can help more with clog:

All you can do after a vanilla install is (NOT as root -- root cannot
clog):

clog admin (note: you are getting tokens for user admin).
password: changeme

The messages you show may be debugging output after a first attempt to use
clog failed.  Clog admin ought to return (perhaps after 30secs) and then
ctokens should show the tokens.

As to adding users: a user with his her group membership in principle
resides in the vice.pdb file; vice.pcf is an index into this file for fast
lookups.  You add users by recreating the vice.pdb vice.pcf files from
groups.coda and users.coda.  This is totally bad, and a better tool to
manage Coda groups and users is forthcoming - see this list, the Yale
Protection Server messages.

Passwords, like in Kerberos reside somewhere else.  While you can set up
an initial password file (and must do so to get an administrator) adding
other users and changing their passwords is done with the au program. A
member of System:Aministrator group can edit other peoples passwords.

- Peter -