Coda File System

Re: alpha port

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 19:51:45 -0500 (CDT)
On 15 Sep 1998, Mikolaj J. Habryn wrote:

>   Hi - has any work been done on porting coda to linux/alpha? I am
> given to understand that the main obstacle is the thread library - is
> this the case? How complex a beastie is the thread library? I had a
> quick look through the 4.7.1 source, but failed to find a clear
> definition of what the public interface to it is - is it the entirety
> of the prototypes in lwp.h?

I ported Coda to PPC, and had to grab the assembly code from arla to make
it work.. There were a few mods I had to make to some other things, but it
was reasonably trivial. What *wasn't* trivial was figuring out that egcs
c++ exception handling was NOT thread safe on PPC. Supposedly it has been
fixed in egcs-1.1, but if you add the -fno-exceptions to the CFLAGS
section in the main makefile, you should be fine. If you have problems let
me know, I might be able to help. (Using the Electric Fence debugging
library was quite helpful a couple of times for me)

| Troy Benjegerdes    |    troybenj_at_iastate.edu    |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.linux.org |