Coda File System

cfs wd problems (was Coda vs NFS)

From: Troy Benjegerdes <hozer_at_drgw.net>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 19:11:45 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998, Peter J. Braam wrote:

> Yes, this is a known factor of 50 slower.  But try it after
>
> cfs wd (make your cache large first).  I think you'll be pretty impressed.
>
> - Peter -

Well, it is faster, but I prefer correct over fast ;)

I first tried this trick with the original 30 MB cache and tried to rm -rf
the original linux tree I untarred. It was quite fast until I started
getting 'no space left on device' errors. So, thinking the cache was to
small I re-inited venus with a 100MB cache, and the rm worked ..

Now I get these errors:
I don't know where the original error was (it scrolled by too fast)

(and yes, I have clog'd in and have tokens..)

tar: linux/include/asm-arm/limits.h: Could not create file: Not a directory
linux/include/asm-arm/vga.h
tar: linux/include/asm-arm/vga.h: Could not create file: Not a directory
linux/include/asm-arm/mm-init.h
tar: linux/include/asm-arm/mm-init.h: Could not create file: Not a directory
linux/include/asm-arm/mman.h
tar: linux/include/asm-arm/mman.h: Could not create file: Not a directory
linux/include/asm-arm/param.h

I haven't so far been able to get cfs wd working reliably. It seems to
work for a small to medium amount of stuff, but not for large amounts of
activity.

Any hints on what to do?

| Troy Benjegerdes    |    troybenj_at_iastate.edu    |    hozer_at_drgw.net   |
|    Unix is user friendly... You just have to be friendly to it first.  |
| This message composed with 100% free software.    http://www.linux.org |