Coda File System

Questions about authentication

From: Jordan Mendelson <jordy_at_wserv.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 18:28:32 -0500
I'm basically trying to rid myself of the NFS server and clients we have. We
use NFS to distribute home directories around servers, so everyone can log
in and have access to their own directory. Their home directories contain
things such as public_html directories for hosting, etc.

Is there a way that I can automatically have a user authenticate with the
auth2 server when they log in? The problem is that they have to enter their
password twice otherwise (once for system login, once for auth2 login). Not
to mention that they have to enter it in every time their ticket expires
(once an hour?)

I also have automated processes (web server) which must read those home
directories and have access to the files (public_html).

Right now I'm at the point where I have a server and client setup... I can
mount the server, log in as 'coda'.. clog in as coda and play with files.

I also have the problem that auth2 has it's own password file and isn't
using system database instead.

Maybe CODA isn't a good replacement for NFS in this case.

Jordan

--
Jordan Mendelson     : http://jordy.wserv.com
Web Services, Inc.   : http://www.wserv.com