Coda File System

Re: please help

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 15:12:40 -0500 (EST)
If release engineering is something that is important, let me tell what we
can do and what you can do:

1. If you don't run it on Red Hat current - become the maintainer for that
platform and tell us.   People that are running Coda on Red Hat are
reporting  few difficulties compared to what you are reporting.

We have taken lots of patches from people to support, Sparc, PowerPC, etc.
etc.  On the other hand we can't put in patches that break portability.
I'd be happy to reconsider the slackware patches if they are carefully
done, to not break things on other platforms.

2. If you don't want to work with Coda 5.0 you're making a big mistake.

3. We will make the server setup script offer a few "default try it"
options that junk in a small default server given two pathnames.

4. I'll make an effort to organise the documentation of the Coda
internals.  Without some reading, no-one will be able to debug it.

The idea that Coda will be a turnkey solution to availability problems
will only come true with a lot of people putting in serious time.  Elliot
Lee is a good example of someone who has been extremely helpful, just to
mention a few things he did:
- Sparc Linux patches
- glibc pathces
- early bug reports for version 4.2
Everything he did is in.  Jan was equally helpful, we hired him.

- Peter -