Coda File System

caching blocks of files

From: Peter J. Braam <braam_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 10:59:58 -0500 (EST)
It's not very complicated to cache chunks of files.  You have to maintain
a bitmap of dirty chunks you hold and I would proceed as follows:

When a file is opened it is not fetched, but an empty file is created of
the correct length, i.e. it is sparse.  This means that bmap returns 0 on
all of the blocks.  If something needs to be read or written, one first
does bmap: if it returns 0 the cache manager (venus) fetches the chunk of
the file and then proceeds.  If bmap doesn't return 0 then the block is
there and one can proceed.

This is not really high on our list of priorities to do, but it's
definitely possible.  The problem I see with using NFS for this is that it
isn't secure at all, and that failure modes are hard to handle. Then,
maybe that doesn't always matter.

- Peter -