Coda File System

Re: large servers: please help

From: Kragen Sitaker <kragen_at_pobox.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jan 1999 16:37:56 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 20 Jan 1999, Jason Duerstock wrote:
> Perhaps some sort of watermark could be set for what is acceptable to
> cache as a whole file and what is not?

Um, easiest solution would be to cache whole files when they're being
written to, since typically (i.e. non-dbm case) you write the whole
file anyway.

> stackptr is originally typed as (char *)...in Alpha-land, pointers are 8
> bytes and sizeof(void *) == sizeof(long), not sizeof(int)...

So gcc's "long" on the alpha really is 8 bytes?  Is there a "long long"
too?

> What kind of evil voodoo is this and what's the proper way to fix it?

if (stackptr == (char*)-1) would be my guess.  But that's still
dangerous; bounds-checking compilers will flag it.

I guess stackptr=NULL already means something else?

Computers are the tools of the devil. It is as simple as that. There is no
monotheism strong enough that it cannot be shaken by Unix or any Microsoft
product. The devil is real. He lives inside C programs. -- philg_at_mit.edu