Coda File System

Re: CODA clients implement incoming TCP connections from CODA server??

From: Martin Konold <konold_at_alpha.tat.physik.uni-tuebingen.de>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 12:42:22 +0100 (CET)
On 25 Jan 1999, Magnus Ahltorp wrote:

> > The number of fd should not be a problem anymore on modern unix systems.
>
> It's a problem that select is O(n).

Do you think that the handling within CODA does scale better?
Du you think that the handling of transmission errors by CODA is more
efficient than the handling via tcp?

> > How does the choice udp/tcp affect performance (latency and bandwidth)?
>
> Since no TCP connection has to be established, latency is improved in
> a UDP solution. I don't think either RPC2 or rx are great bandwidth
> consumers. There are TCP-like mechanisms in the RPC protocols.

IC.

Thanks for you eplanations.

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Herrenbergerstr. 14, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: konold_at_kde.org                                         //
Anybody who's comfortable using KDE should use it. Anyone who wants to
tell other people what they should be using can go to work for Microsoft.