Coda File System

Re: preliminary questions

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 19:15:05 -0500
fred_at_xoom.com said:
| I'm starting to play around with coda as a possible alternative to
| NFS, and I'm in installation purgatory.

| I'm trying to install 5.2.0 on a couple of RedHat desktops that are
| already fully partitioned. I tried to specify metadata and log
| "partitions" as directories and the install failed. So I went back to
| try to install them as files, and I get the following error very early
| on:

RVM log and data partitions are actually raw disks, not mounted
filesystems or anything (like /dev/hda3).

| > Enter the uid of this user: 6
| > Enter the username of this user: william
| > ID alread used by "Anonymous".
| > ID alread used by "System".
| > Assertion failed: PDB_nameInUse(name) == 0, file
| > "/usr/src/redhat/BUILD/coda-5.2.0/coda-src/al/pdb.c", line 274
| > Sleeping forever.  You may use gdb to attach to process 2384.

| NB: the dir /usr/src/redhat/BUILD/coda-5.2.0 does not exist.

Well it does if you install the source rpm and execute
`rpm -bp /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/coda`. But that's only useful if you
want to get your hands dirty and start debugging.

| How do I erase whatever memory the machine has, and start again?

The first time you tried the setup the files /vice/db/coda.pdb and
/vice/db/name.pdb were created, and an entry for the name `william' was
made. When re-running the script they didn't get removed, and the
pdbtool failed because the user already existed.

Remove the coda.pdb and name.pdb files from /vice/db/ and it should
work.