Coda File System

Re: Is CODA right for me?

From: Juan Antonio Martinez <jantonio_at_dit.upm.es>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 10:50:04 +0200 (CET)
On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Laszlo Vecsey wrote:

> Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 12:10:48 -0400 (EDT)
> From: Laszlo Vecsey <master_at_internexus.net>
> To: codalist_at_TELEMANN.coda.cs.cmu.edu
> Subject: Re: Is CODA right for me?
>
> On Tue, 29 Jun 1999, Juan Antonio Martinez wrote:
>
> > On 28 Jun 1999, Soren Dayton wrote:

[...]
> > 	Any suggestions will be wellcomed. The present problem is duplicate
> > the real /usr partition in server ( about 1,5Gb ) into /vicepa coda volume,
> > setuid bits, owners and so in coda volume? ( ie: in coda client /usr will be
> > a symlink to /coda, and the user -anonymous coda log- must see correct
> > permissions in order to execute programs )
> >

> Simple way to do that is to use the 'cp -a' unix command -- get both
> partitions mounted on a system (the real /usr, and the coda mounted
> partition), and copy between them with that command to preserve
> everything.

	Sorry: seems not explained enought: as coda administrator just did a
'cp -a' ( tar, cpio, and every variations ) and copy was fine, but when from
client try to use any command, the owner is allways "coda" and setuid
perms doesn't work. In fact, when "--preserve" option is given, get thousands
of errors like "cp: cannot restore permission XXXX on file YYYY". Seems that
I must define all entries of /etc/passwd into list of coda users, and same
with /etc/group entries.... but groups in coda are negative numbers... :-(

	My idea was not to define any user, just use anonymous coda login to
read and execute commands from coda's copy of /usr directory. Don't know how
to do this... even more don't know if this is possible

        Juan Antonio          \|||/
                             / _ _ \
                             \ o o /
http://www.dit.upm.es/~jantonio         Ciudad Universitaria s/n
Fax:   34-1-3367333                     Madrid, Spain
Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the
change to take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]