Coda File System

Re: Palm OS

From: <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 03:50:10 +0200
On Mon, Jul 05, 1999 at 01:27:21PM +0100, Joao Campos wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Do you think it would be possible or feasible to port the CODA file
> system to the PalmOS?
>
> My main concerns are about the very limited storage space, and the
> system calls . . .
>
> Thank you.
>
> --

I have a Palm III myself, and think it would be useless.

PalmOS applications already are very well adapted for synchronizing with
their desktop peers, and most are perfectly able to resolve conflicting
updates in application specific ways.

Even when not considering the memory overhead. A generic filesystem like
Coda cannot be used at all by most of the Palm applications as they are
not capable of reading the file formats of `word/outlook/ical/...'.

Also most data is better stored on your Palm in a `processed format'
like the DOC format for textfiles, or a black and white or greyscale
representation for images.

Ofcourse I would happily be proven wrong on my assumptions here.