Coda File System

Re: gcc-2.95 patches (untested)

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 09:30:22 -0400
On Tue, Aug 31, 1999 at 02:17:34PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>     Jan> On Mon, Aug 30, 1999 at 02:53:49PM +0900, Stephen J. Turnbull
>     Jan> wrote:
>
>     >> I made very similar changes, and managed a build [with gcc
>     >> 2.95].
>     >>
>     >> I cannot get venus-5.2.7 to initialize;
>
>     Jan> So I wonder what the reason for the failed initialization
>     Jan> might be.
>
> Oops, looks like this is my bad.  /vice/srv/SrvErr shows it wasn't
> finding my user database file.  The home page says "upgrade admin
> files to new format for 5.2.x"; I assumed that I already did that with
> 5.2.0; but if you read the fine print (_after_ following the link :-(
> ) you realize that you have to do it _again_.  Of course, my old
> pdbtool has been overwritten.  Argh.

> Fortunately (?), I don't yet trust other people's data to Coda, so
> building a database from scratch was trivial, using vice-setup-user.
> But people who have non-trivial databases probably would like clearer
> notification that the DB format "last changed in ver. 5.2.x; if you
> haven't upgraded since ver <### & link to directions>, ver <link to
> directions>, etc, see the DB format update instructions."

True, I guess there never was a proper announcement for 5.2.7, so this
change got a bit underexposed.

I've added export and import commands to the pdbtool (in the development
tree) which should help keeping the data in case of any unforseen future
changes. They simply dump/read the data from a /etc/{passwd|group}-like
format.

> I'm pleased to see that mv'ing files doesn't hang up the server
> anymore (that happened a lot in 5.2.0).  It seems much faster than
> 5.2.0.  Life is good.

Interesting, haven't seen that problem yet. I'll try to rename my files
more often.