Coda File System

Re: Slackware Linux

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 1999 14:26:30 -0400
On Thu, Sep 02, 1999 at 12:58:47PM -0400, avenger wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Jan Harkes wrote:
>
> > struct timespec is not defined.. Should have been defined in
> > /usr/include/time.h, and is part of the POSIX.1b spec.
>
> Actually it is defined in libc5 but it's just "struct timespec;" :)
> I looked on a glibc box and noticed there are quite a few more lines with
> timespec in them than there are in my time.h.

That's just a declaration, it is often used to avoid recursive
dependencies between headerfiles. This implies that the timespec
definition is already somewhere else.

> Really I wish I knew C and C++ so Ihad a better grasp on what goes on
> between those things.  I tried to change the coda.h the was you have it up
> there in the dist include file and remake the whole thing but then you get
> a error about it being redefined, probably since it is defined in time.h,
> just not the same way it is in glibc.

It could be defined in sys/types.h or sys/time.h. The declaration in
time.h is just a stub, but actually good enough for compilation.

A quick hack would be to add #include <time.h> to coda.h. As this
most likely breaks compilation for the kernel, we should in all
files that includes cfs/coda.h, have an #include <time.h> before that
point.

I just did some find/grep/comm tricks there are only 11 files that
include coda.h but no time.h, and 8 to check for the ordering. I might
just do that.

> > Well, it's either several hours to change over the machine, or several
> > hours compiling Coda while trying to find more types that aren't defined
> > by libc5. Although correctly fixing some of the missing types might
> > actually lead to a much cleaner code-base (like this timespec thing).
>
> Really we should be close to the end though.  This error is fairly close
> to the end of the compile from what I see of the directory structure,
> although I've been known to be wrong at times.
>
> --Aaron

Hmm, this is auth2, next directories are, vv vol librepair venus advice
repair guitools resolution volutil vtools vice update asr egasr norton.

You're at 40% at most, and haven't even really had any of the larger c++
parts.