Coda File System

Silly CODA questions

From: Christopher P. Lindsey <lindsey_at_mallorn.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Sep 1999 02:05:44 -0500 (CDT)
Howdy all,

I've been a lurker on this list for quite some time now, as I've been
anticipating using Coda for various applications.  It looks like I'm
finally at a point where I can use it, so now I'm beginning to investigate
certain aspects a little more seriously.  I've searched the (brief) FAQ
and mailing list archives for some information, but can only find hints
and suggestions at my questions.  So I'm going to ask right out...

   o How similar to Transarc's AFS is Coda?  I imagine that the commands
     are close in terms of functionality, but probably differ in name
     (I come from a strictly AFS background)

   o Does Coda interoperate with AFS cells?  The general answer appears
     to be no, but can I mount AFS volumes from within a Coda cell (and
     if the authentication is different, can I use something icky like IP
     acls as a hack?)

   o We have an existing Kerberos V realm in place.  Can Coda authenticate
     to this directly, or do we need to create special per-user Coda
     principals or modify the Kerberos database in any special ways?  Can
     anyone direct me to K5 specific documentation?

   o If using Kerberos V authentication, can we use Kerberos keytab files
     to obtain tokens?  (this ties into the previous question)

   o How difficult is it to port AFS-aware code to work with Coda?  Is
     the API similar, or is it another beast altogether?

Thanks for any answers that you can provide,

Chris