Coda File System

Re: Newer version of kernel module for Linux?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 1999 13:38:35 -0400
On Thu, Oct 07, 1999 at 11:29:44AM -0500, Bill Gribble wrote:
> I'm using the Debian-packaged version of Coda-5.3.1 (thanks Anders!)
> and the kernel module found in linux-coda-5.2.3-linux2.2.9.tgz on the
> Coda ftp site.  I'm wondering if this is the most recent version of
> the module, and if I can expect problems with current client and
> server installs.  Everything seems to work OK, but the output of 'df'
> sometimes is, um, unexpected, which could be nothing or could be a
> sign of oncoming apocalypse.
>
> Any advice appreciated.
> Bill Gribble

Hi Bill,

linux-coda-5.2.3-linux2.2.9.tgz is identical to the code in the recent
official linux kernels (2.2.11+). It is the most up-to-date version, and
no changes are expected for 2.2.x, it seems to be reasonably rock solid.

For the 2.3.x series the patch that Chuck Lever posted to the linux-kernel
list in August and more testing are needed. But I've had some problems with
the 2.3 series on my laptop, so I haven't been able to run some Coda tests
without oopsing on something completely unrelated, I hope :)

The `df' output is something I added to find some leaks in the cache-usage
counters. It is reasonably useful, if you know what the various numbers
mean.

$ df /coda
Filesystem         1024-blocks  Used Available Capacity Mounted on
Coda                  100000     224    75589      0%   /coda
			^1	  ^2	  ^3	   ^4
1) total size of the venus cache.
2) size of non-reclaimable objects. Because of open for write or
   modified/logged while (write-)disconnected.
3) size used by cached objects.
4) 2 / 1 * 100%

$ df -i /coda
Filesystem           Inodes   IUsed   IFree  %IUsed Mounted on
Coda                    4166    1649    2517    40%  /coda
			 ^1	 ^2	 ^3	^4
1) total number of available fs objects (files/directories).
2) number of fs objects in use.
3) number of unused fsos.
4) 2 / 1 * 100%