Coda File System

Re: quota

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 1999 17:33:48 -0500
On Thu, Nov 04, 1999 at 01:15:47PM +0100, Major A wrote:

> Hello again,
>
> Is there quota support in Coda at the moment?
>
> I noticed that there is a cfs setquota command, but no other commands
> relating to quotas. Also, what is a block? Is it 1024 bytes?
>
> I set the quota of a new volume to 1000 blocks and started to cat
> /dev/zero to a file in that volume. It stopped at some stage (when /vicepa
> did not have any space left), and from that time vice told me periodically
> something like "Quota overflow", even after deleting the file. All this
> was done connected. Any ideas?

Hi Andras,

It was probably the partition on the client with /usr/coda/venus.cache
that ran out of space. Venus is only informed of the the size of the
file after the last close. This is great for performance, but makes all
forms of disk usage control pretty soft. So the venus.cache size is a
soft limit, and so are the quotas.

This has been discussed on this list so many times, that I'm amazed you
haven't seen any of those discussions yet ;)