Coda File System

Re: test server and other questions (was: Re: coda test server)

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Sun, 21 Nov 1999 17:17:46 -0500
On Sun, Nov 21, 1999 at 05:28:22PM -0500, Ben wrote:
> I compiled this on a i386 Debian Potato computer. I am fairly
> certain that it linked against glibc 2.1. I compiled it because the
> documentation says that the root volume message can be caused by using
> an older client and the debian packages are at 5.3.1 on ftp.debian.org.
>
> This brings up two other questions I had:
>
> How compatible are the 5.3.x client/servers? Does everyone have to be
> using exactly the same version, or is the protocol pretty standard in
> each series?

There have been no rpc protocol changes, so all 5.3.x clients and
servers should be able to talk to each other.

> Are there any known problems with coda and SMP computers?

No, Coda has been running fine on an SMP machine for a year now ;)
Coda uses user-threads it doesn't directly make use of the additional
processor.

> > On another note. The problem connecting to the testserver was because it
> > was down. There is currently a limit of about a thousand clients. Once
> > that is hit the server fails on an assertion. I guess this is aggrevated
> > by the fact that these slots are not recycled, and when people are
> > coming in through a NAT box their portnumbers jump about once every 5
> > minutes.
>
> What is the ip address of testserver.cs.cmu.edu? I would like to try it
> out again later tonight.

It should be testserver.coda.cs.cmu.edu, it's ip is 128.2.209.213.

> Also, when looking to setup coda on the FreeBSD computers today it
> wasn't clear to me what the current situation was with the kernel. The
> latest releases of FreeBSD include coda kernel options but you mention
> on the web page that coda since version 5.0 is distributed under the GPL
> license. This makes me wonder whether the code distributed with FreeBSD
> will work with newer versions of coda. I couldn't find information
> telling me if it would or wouldn't work, the README.BSD file in the coda
> source tarball seemed dated. Is the code included with FreeBSD adequate
> for using coda 5.3.3?

The core components of Coda are released with a GPL license. The
supporting libraries like LWP/RVM/RPC2 have an LGPL license. The kernel
code is licensed according to whatever is appropriate for that specific
platform, so the BSD kernel code has the regular BSD license.

FreeBSD, NetBSD and Linux-2.2 kernels are all uptodate and working
perfectly with 5.3. We have identified some problems with Linux-2.3, but
already have a working solution, just need to clean it up a bit.