Coda File System

Re: Quick question.

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 18:37:26 -0500
On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 10:53:25PM -0800, Evan Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 07:02:39PM -0500, Shafeeq Sinnamohideen wrote:
>
> > What's the OS the server is running ? At least on BSDs we have trouble
> > with DNS resolution sometimes failing in codasrv & venus when it works
> > fine in other programs. We're working on it, but have't found the cause
> > yet. The solution for now is to make sure that the server itself and
> > all clients in its /etc/hosts file, but if you're using that address
> > you probably have that already. Some of the code in both also use only
> > the host name and not the fully qualified name, but that shouldn't be the
> > problem if 'ionizer' resolves correctly.
>
> Oh Im sorry, its a Linux 2.3.39 SMP kernel, on an x86 platform.  After
> modifying /etc/hosts that seems to have done the trick.

Linux 2.3 has been broken for some time now. We created a working kernel
module, but Alexander Viro came up with a lot cleaner solution. That
however required some fundamental changes in the VFS layer. These
changes have just started to appear around 2.3.38. I'll have to recheck
the code to see what precisely changed, and whether any additional
patches might be necessary.