Coda File System

Aaargh.

From: Quinn Weaver <qweaver_at_vovida.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2000 20:57:06 -0800 (PST)
I'm having a problem I can't diagnose.  I just set up a new Coda server,
an SCM, doing rdsinit by hand for a larger-than-usual RVM partition.  I
made sure all the scripts were run, exiting from vice-setup tp run rdsinit
and create /vice/srv.conf by hand, then running vice-setup-srvdir.  I can
start rpc2portmap, updatesrv, updateclnt, and codasrv itself using the
init scripts and startserver.  However, codasrv seems to die as soon as it
is inovked (i.e. it isn't visible in the output of ps).  It looks as if
the server is just refusing to work.

All attempts to connect to the server fail.  On my Linux client, I get
this message when starting venus:

Date: Tue 02/08/2000

20:45:35 Probably another Venus is running! open(/dev/cfs0) failed (19),
exiting

(Yes, /dev/cfs0 exists and is readable and writable by root.)

On a Windows client, I get an "unable to open TCP socket" error box.

If I issue a createvol_rep command on the SCM, I get something like this:

root_at_boc:~# createvol_rep coda_root E0000100 /vicepa
Servers are (boc )
HexGroupId is 7F000003
creating volume coda_root.0 on boc
V_BindToServer: binding to host boc.private.vovida.com
RPC2_NewBinding to server boc.private.vovida.com failed with
RPC2_NOBINDING (F)
Failure to make volume on boc!. Abort..

Needless to say, since I can't start venus, I can't log on as the Coda
administrator remotely and run createvol_rep from another box, as I
should. :P

I'm pretty much at the end of my rope.  Do you have any idea why this is
happening?  Any hints would be helpful.  Just in case I did something
horribly wrong, I've attached the output from rdsinit, but it looks to me
as if everything succeeded.

Many thanks,

--
Quinn Weaver  Software Engineer  ,      Vovida Networks  http://www.vovida.com