Coda File System

Re: Windows 98 clog problems--ouch.

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 20:26:30 -0500
On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 05:17:48PM -0800, Quinn Weaver wrote:
> Hey, every time I run clog in Windows 98 I get a standard "illegal
> operation" error box:  "this program has performed an illegal operation
> and will be shut down", et cetera.  The debugging info shows some problem
> in the "kernel" DLL.
>
> Does this happen in Windows 95 as well?  Sorry, I don't have any Windows
> 95 boxes on hand to test.  In the meantime, I thought people should know about
> this problem.  Has anyone tested Coda with Windows 98 clients?  Are others
> having the same problem?

Yes, we're seeing the same problem here. I've actually traced the
problem to a stack overflow in the select system call. However my
windows95 machine died before I could test my patch.

I'll send you an updated 'lwp.dll' file which has twice as much
stackspace reserved for the thread that calls select. Maybe it works,
maybe it won't.

The strangest thing is that Venus uses the same iomgr thread but doesn't
crash, whilst it is a much more complex program. (i.e. I would have
expected Venus to crash sooner than clog).