Coda File System

Re: Coda/Venus cache size?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 12:24:34 -0500
On Tue, Feb 29, 2000 at 04:17:02PM -0000, fsg.student4_at_bt.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just installed Coda a few days ago and I am very
> satisfied with it so far, but I can't understand a few
> things.
>
> When you are running something like a webserver on a coda
> client, the local cache should obviously be as big as possible.
> As disk space is cheap now, a few GB might be a good size.
> But the Coda HowTo says "Do not go above 200Meg." Why?

That is about a big as we have tried. As soon as you scale up some
things start hitting you, some functions actually start taking way too
much time (the client freezes for a long time when there are many
hoarded files)

> The other thing: I can easily copy files sized 64 MB from
> and to a replicated volume that resides on a seperate disk.
> I use a 100 MB Venus cache. When I try to copy a 128 MB
> file to and form Coda, I get the following error messages.
> Can anybody explain to me why this happens?

When the file is closed, venus stats the container file to figure out
the new size. At that point it detects the fact that the cache has
overflowed. It makes sure the stuff gets to the server, and then throws
the file out of the cache. After this venus refuses to fetch the big
file back, because there is not enough space in the cache.