Coda File System

RE: Server Replication (was: DNS needed for Coda?)

From: FSG STUDENT4 Ex Directory <fsg.student4_at_bt.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 12:04:33 +0100
Hi,

previously I thought this procedure could make a server
and a replica work:

> What I did now was:
> 1. Vice-Setup on both servers
> 2. Edit vice/db/VSGDB and vice/db/servers on SCM (called sf3)
>    VSGDB now has three entries, like that:
>    E0000100 sf3
>    E0000101 sf2
>    E0000104 sf3 sf2
> 3. start both servers
> 4. SCM: createvol_rep coda:root E0000100 /vicepa
>    SCM: createvol_rep coda:two  E0000101 /vicepa
>    SCM: createvol_rep coda:repl E0000104 /vicepa
> 4. start venus, mount only coda:root and coda:repl

Unfortunately it doesn't do any replication, as I noticed
today. _ALL_ three volumes are only stored on my non-SCM
machine sf2. Exploring the location of a file on any of
these volumes with "cfs whereis" shows the files always
being stored on sf2. The replicated volume is even replicated
on sf2, so I have it twice on sf2. No data is actually
stored on the SCM (sf3), although the createvol_rep command
shows: "Creating volume coda:root.0 on sf3".

Any ideas?

BTW, can I use any value for the identifiers in the VSGDB,
or is E0000100 always non-replicated and E0000104 always
replicated? Could I also use 1234567 als VSG addess?

Thanks,
  Frank

P.S.: Unfortunatly I am asked to show Coda's features in
    a demonstration tomorrow. I hope I have it running by
    then ... :-(