Coda File System

Re: venus does not start

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 13:35:11 -0400
On Mon, Apr 03, 2000 at 06:29:25PM +0200, Alan Scheinine wrote:
> Previously I had initialized the server by using the instructions in
> chapter 13, what to do if Coda crashes.  This time, using version
> 5.3.5 I installed the server from scratch, using the same procedure
> I had used when I first installed Coda many months ago using version
> 5.3.3 .  (Aside from the obvious changes related to lwp and the new
> lines in the venus configuration file.)
> And still venus fails giving the message
>
> 18:25:35 Kernel version ioctl failed (Inappropriate ioctl for device)!
> 18:25:35 2.3 or later kernels require an updated kernel module!
> 18:25:35 Initial LRDB allocation
> 18:25:35 Getting Root Volume information...
> 18:25:35 Venus starting...
> 18:25:50 fatal error -- vsgent::Connect: (0) failed (-2004)
					    ^
Venus is trying to connect a server with ip-address 0.0.0.0. I don't
know why. Maybe the gethostbyname fails without returning an error or
something stupid like that.

A log at loglevel 10 (venus -d 10) might help, otherwise try
reinitializing venus or even put the IP addresses of the servers in
/etc/hosts and reinitialize venus (venus -init).