Coda File System

Re: Problems in disconnected operation

From: Dr A V Le Blanc <LeBlanc_at_mcc.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 3 May 2000 13:42:26 +0100
Thanks again for the swift replies.

On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 12:05:03PM -0400, Jan Harkes wrote:
> A Coda client caches `trust', not the ACL's. When a file is fetched by a
> user the client and the server gives it, the client remembers that that
> user is allowed to access the file. The hoard daemon fetches files
> according to the uid of the user who submitted the hoard entries.

I have only two users in this cell, and the one running hoard and
saving the token and running remotely is also the only member
of System:Administrators.  I find also that hoard does not work
on directories to which I have all access, unless I also give
System:AnyUser lookup access.

The problem directory has ACLs System:Administrator all, System:AnyUser
rl, and me all.  Other directories with the same ACLs and in the same
volume are not having problems.  I haven't got the hoard file in
at work today, so I can't say how the volume in question is handled;
I thought it had d+ with a small priority on the whole volume, and
higher priorities on various files which are more heavily used.

> So if you have several users, or the hoard daemon doesn't access the
> files with your identity and the ACL doesn't permit System:AnyUser
> access, the permission will not be recorded in the cache.

As a matter of interest, why is the System:AnyUser access required?

> Hmm, they are still there. Mainly because the backups and volume
> replicas underlying replicated volumes are using the same
> non-replicated volumes as a read-only replica would use. But we can't
> revalidate the cache after disconnection. Ofcourse, we should never
> need callbacks or cache revalidation on read-only replicated volumes,
> except for maybe a volume level callback.
>
> Personally, I'd like to consider them dead, as handling special cases
> such as this is what makes the code so much harder to maintain. We
> already have 3 different code-paths for normal operations depending on
> connectivity state (disconnected, write-disconnected, fully connected).
> Having two distinct cases for revalidation and callbacks doesn't seem
> too attractive right now.

It seems a sensible way to go, though it's tempting to ask whether the
read-only replicas are (or could be made to be) much more efficient
in some way, as it would appear to an old AFSer that they might.

Thanks again.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc_at_mcc.ac.uk