Coda File System

Disappearing files under mv'd directory

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 16:29:41 +0900 (JST)
I had a structure like the following (volume names in parentheses):

/coda (coda) -+- [others]

              +- /Projects -+- [others]

                            +- /XEmacs (p.xemacs) -+- xemacs-21.2-HEAD/ ...

                                                   +- xemacs-21.1-HEAD/ ...

                                                   +- xemacs-packages/ ...

                                                   +- [others]

I want to keep these trees as pure as possible.  That is, they should
contain upstream code and my own hacks, but nothing generated by the
build process.  The idea is to use `configure --srcdir' as much as
possible on individual machines, but always work from the common
source in the /coda tree.

I got tired of all the completion conflicts, so I mv'd
xemacs-21.x-HEAD to 21.x-HEAD.  Now when I try to build in a separate
directory (in a file system on a separate Linux ext2 partition) I get
"file not found".  But I know that the files are there, because I can
`cat' them.

Any ideas what's going on here?