Coda File System

[newbie] Permissions interaction: CODA acl's and unix perms.

From: Marc Heckmann <heckmann_at_hbesoftware.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 14:37:45 -0400 (EDT)
Hi,

	I've been playing with coda for the last couple of days (5.3.7 w/
redhat-6.1 stock 2.2.12-20 kernel module) and I've been trying to figure
out how the coda acl's work. In User and Administration manual in the File
Protection chapter (http://www.coda.cs.cmu.edu/doc/html/manual/x237.html),
it says that"

"In addition to the Coda access lists, the three owner bits of the file
mode are used to indicate readability, writability, and executability. You
should use chmod(1) to set the permissions on individual files."

I can't seem to achieve this:

I have 2 coda users, A and B neither of them belongs to any groups. User A
has acl's "rlidwka" (all) on a directory "foo". User B only has
System:AnyUser "l" rights on foo. In the manual it clearly states that "r"
(Read) allows the user to read any file under that directory, even if the
UNIX mode bits do not permit, I tested this to be true. Now if I only
allow "l" lookup access, user B can no longer read any file in directory
foo, including the world readable one's... So my question is how can I
achieve a finer grained per file permissions with CODA? Is this possible?
Thanks in advance.

	Cheers,

        Marc Heckmann  -  System Administrator
        HBE Software