Coda File System

Re: Limit on directories?

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jun 2000 11:41:50 -0400
On Tue, Jun 20, 2000 at 11:19:12AM +0200, ulrich.hahn wrote:

> While testing metadata performance of coda I encountered a file system
> full situation. The error occured after creating approx. 7000 files and
> directories. First I thought this might be a client problem (RVM of venus
> assuming 16k av. file size) but this did not change with venus cache size.
>
> So is there a hard coded limit for directories per volume, or what else
> did I miss?

What is the size of the directory according to `ls'?

Greg Troxel noted at one point that we don't have indirect directory
blocks. The directories can thus only become at most 256KB. With 7000
entries this results in ~37 bytes per entry. 12 bytes are used by flags,
length and fid, so the average filename size to fill a directory with
7000 objects would be about 25 bytes.

I don't know if that includes the \0 character at the end.