Coda File System

Re: Stability of Windows versions

From: Shafeeq Sinnamohideen <shafeeq_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2000 17:27:21 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 3 Jul 2000, Chris Snyder wrote:

> I'm thinking of replacing the current Windows file sharing on my network
> with a Coda setup, but have heard that the Windows versions aren't stable
> yet.  With the Win9x client, what problems occur?  Is it just periodic
> crashing, or is data being lost?  Also, will there ever be an NT client?
> I'm considering using it for a few workstations, and an NT and Linux server
> farm.  Also, how many servers are required?

Yes, it is less stable than the unix versions. The major known bugs are
periodic crashing, the inablity to open files in Coda using Office (other
programs work fine), and the inablity to read directories from DOS boxes.
These are being worked on, but it will be some time before it works as
well as on unix. An NT client should be begun soon bu there is no time
frame for when to expect it.

There's not a hard answer for how many servers you need, it depends on how
many clients, how much write activity, degree of replication, etc. that
you expect. As an example, we use for about 15-20 people 6 servers, with
most user volumes triply replicated and the rest doubly replicated

Shafeeq