Coda File System

Re: unable to connect to internal server

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 2000 08:56:17 -0400
On Sun, Jul 23, 2000 at 10:32:48PM -0400, Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:
> I have a coda client on my laptop and
> have no problem connecting to the
> testserver at cmu.
>
> However when i set up a codaserver on
> my local network i found that I am not able to connect.
> my venus.conf file contain only two uncommented lines
>
> rootservers="strange.langhorst.com"
> cacheblocks="20000"

It could be that `strange', your server, has a problem in /etc/hosts.
To be precise, the following line:

    127.0.0.1 localhost strange.langhorst.com

Things go wrong because gethostbyname("strange.langhorst.com") returns
127.0.0.1 and this is then returned in the volume lookups (i.e. it is
stored in the VRDB and VLDB files). The client is then able to find the
volume, GetRootVolume and GetVolInfo succeed. But attaching to the
volume fails, because it cannot reach a server at 127.0.0.1.