Coda File System

Re: Replicating servers/SCM/cache size

From: LEE, Yui-wah (Clement) <clement_at_cse.cuhk.edu.hk>
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:44:43 +0800 (CST)
On Thu, 20 Jul 2000, Michael Sherman wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Exploring the possibility of using Coda in a network of several clients
> and a few redundant servers I have run into several potential issues, to
>
> which I couldn't find answers in Coda documents. I will make my
> questions as specific as possible. Any feedback will be greatly
> appreciated.
>
> 1. Can SCM be moved from one server to another?

Yes, you can.

> Is SCM a single point of
>
> failure in a Coda system?

Only for a very small portion of Coda functionality -- the creation of
volumes -- which is needed much less frequently than the main Coda
functions -- serving files.

> Can the rest of the system continue to operate
>
> when SCM fails permanently? If so is there any data loss?

Yes, the rest of the system still run (except that you can't create
volumes).  There is no data loss.

> 2. I have come across a few suggestions as to the size of the cache on
> the client. They range from 20M to hundreds of megabytes. In my
> particular case client disk size is limited. Will they be able to
> operate with small caches (1 or 2 Meg)? Is it a requirement that a
> single file must fit into the cache? Are there any consequences?

A single file must fit into the local disk for Coda to operate
properly.  (See the recent post by Jan Harkes Subj: Re: disk quota,
dated Jul 20, 2000).

-- Clement