Coda File System

Re: hoarding

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 10:31:14 -0400
On Thu, Aug 10, 2000 at 04:00:33PM +0200, Florin Grad wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> Please correct me if i'm wrong.
> If you turn up the computer (you shutdown venus that is) you will loose
> all your cached daabase and files, right.

No, only if you start venus with the -init flag. You do lose the tokens
that give access to ACL protected files in the cache.

To restart venus completely disconnected from the network, make sure the
names and ip-addresses of the rootservers are in /etc/hosts. Then,
before disconnecting from the network run

    clog -tofile /<localdisk>/mytoken

and after rebooting disconnected use

    clog -fromfile ...

to give the saved token back to venus.

> As I understand, coda hoarding is mainly for disconnection matters and not
> like permanent cache, right ?

Hoarding is done in the background, about once every 5 minutes and makes
sure that the files you are interested in are pulled into the cache
whenever they have been modified on the server (or when they have been
thrown out for some reason). The `hoard walk' command can be used to
manually trigger the hoarding.

> Is just that I was thinking at some transparent process of working with
> disconnection for the user...

Ehh, how much more transparent do you think it can become?
Last week one of our Coda servers was down for 4 hours before anyone
noticed. ;)