Coda File System

configure --srcdir and --prefix

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2000 18:22:06 +0900 (JST)
I realized a couple of days ago when I decided to finally update to
coda 5.3.8 that I've actually become somewhat dependent on Coda
working.  So I decided to make a couple of changes in the way I've
been building coda.

First, I decided to use the --srcdir option to configure and build in
a separate directory.  This seems to be working, except for some
messages from configure about missing Makefile.ins; does anybody know
a reason why it might not?

Second, rather than install Coda directly into /usr/local (overwriting
the current, working, version), I decided that first I would test the
installation by configuring with --prefix=/usr/local/coda-test.  This
does not work correctly.  The problem is that the build picks up the
includes and the libraries in /usr/local/{include,lib} for some
reason, while those in /usr/local/coda-test/{include,lib} are ignored.

Fortunately, this generated a compile error because of a change in a
header, so it was obvious.  CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/coda-test/include and
LDFLAGS=/usr/local/coda-test/lib in the configuration environment
seems to helps the compile error but the link still seems to be wrong.
Using ldd on (say) the new venus shows it finding
/usr/local/lib/liblwp.so.1 but not /usr/local/coda-test/lib/liblwp.so.2.