Coda File System

Re: Client and server on the same machine?

From: Drew Bernat <abernat_at_zathras.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Oct 2000 09:26:07 -0500 (CDT)
On 20 Oct 2000, Greg Troxel wrote:

> Yes, that should work fine - venus and server are totally independent.
> You need the server running before you start venus (anywhere), though,
> or venus will pause looking for the root volume.  Can't find bootstrap
> server is most likely a failure to dns-resolve the server name, but
> I'm not 100% sure - you might try posting the actual error message,
> rather than a summary of it.

The coda server is running, since I can connect from other machines. When
I try to run Venus, I get:

bash-2.04# venus-setup <machine> 10000
bash-2.04# venus

Date: Fri 10/20/2000

09:18:21 /usr/coda/LOG setup for size 0x108038
09:18:22 /usr/coda/DATA initialized at size 0x4200e0
09:18:22 brain-wiping recoverable store
09:18:23 fatal error -- CommInit: no bootstrap server
09:18:23 Fatal Signal (11); pid 5122 becoming a zombie...
09:18:23 You may use gdb to attach to 5122

Almost instantly. I get the same error if I use localhost instead of
<machine>. The machine name is mapped in /etc/hosts, too.

Are there any known library problems that would cause this? The server is
running Linux kernel 2.2.16, libc version 2.1.3.

Thanks,
Drew

--
Drew Bernat                                                __ ____
abernat_at_zathras.net                                         |  | |