Coda File System

Re: Client and server on the same machine?

From: Stephen J. Turnbull <turnbull_at_sk.tsukuba.ac.jp>
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2000 09:18:08 +0900 (JST)

    Greg> This sounds like address translation lossage.  Try a numeric
    Greg> address.

I don't think so.  I think it's config file processing lossage; I get
the same errors with my Debian Linux setup but using the -h option
wins.  (This is not to say that it isn't at root a lookup problem,
quite possibly in glibc, but if one path to the lookup works and
another fails, there is definitely a bug in Coda.)

    Greg> It's highly likely :-) My systems are all FreeBSD and
    Greg> NetBSD.  Still, even without libc-of-the-week flakiness,
    Greg> I've had problems that seem somewhat similar.  I suspect
    Greg> that something in venus isn't 100% right with respect to
    Greg> hostname lookup, but I have never figured it out.

You might also check into gethostby*() vs. the Unix98 version,
getsomethingorothersomehow().  (Well, anyway, there is a new function
and recent GNU libc's deprecate the gethostby* interface.)