Coda File System

Re: strange venus problem

From: Jan Harkes <jaharkes_at_cs.cmu.edu>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2000 13:39:11 -0500
On Mon, Nov 27, 2000 at 05:06:13PM +0100, Christian Ospelkaus wrote:
> Jan Harkes wrote:
>
> > The Coda kernel module has problems writing to files when the container
> > files are stored in a reiserfs partition.
> >
> > Jan
>
> Thanks for your reply. What do you mean by "container files"? Is that
> the directory "/usr/coda/venus.cache"? Are there also problems with
> reserfs and the server? Regards,
>
> Christian

Yes, the container files are the ones in /usr/coda/venus.cache. The Coda
kernel module grabs their inode using iget(dev, ino), which fails on
some filesystems (f.i. ramfs) I've got a workaround patch for that
problem.

It also uses generic_read/write_file to divert accesses to files in
/coda to the underlying containerfiles. This is probably what breaks
reiserfs, it might have it's own specialized read/write_file
implementation.

As far as the server is concerned. No problems, as it is just a regular
userspace application.