Coda File System

Coda on Solaris 8?

From: Paul Allen <paul.l.allen_at_boeing.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2000 12:00:29 -0800
I've been attempting to build Coda on Solaris 8 over the last few days.

With gcc 2.95.2, the 0.03 kernel module compiles, but the make install
complains:

add_drv coda
devfsadm: driver failed to attach: coda
Warning: Driver (coda) successfully added to system but failed to attach

With Sun's Workshop 6 update 1 C 5.2 and "-Dinline=", the same thing
happens.

Since the README says this has only been tried on Solaris 2.6 and 7,
I suppose Sun changed something in Solaris 8.  Can anybody suggest
how I would approach debugging this?  What sorts of things can cause
a Solaris module to fail to attach, for example?  Would I have an
easier time of things if I just went ahead and installed Linux on this
machine?  It's a Sun Ultra 10 that's going to be a fileserver for an
Alpha Linux Beowulf cluster.  Solaris 8 is attractive to management
because it appears to have buzzword-compliant "role-based access
control".

Any input willl be appreciated.

Paul Allen

--
Boeing Phantom Works                   \ Paul L. Allen, (425) 865-3297
Math & Computing Technology              \ paul.l.allen_at_boeing.com